All thorough out my school life, we had this Saturday ritual at home...Mom used to oil our hair and give us a mini head massage! Back in school people used to wonder what kept my hair so healthy and no one believed that this could have been the only reason :D
Now I have been in a hostel, staying away from home for about 6 years now and boy! I miss the Saturday hair oiling sessions!! Ever since college started, I have been skipping the oil a lot (laziness, tiredness or work to get done comes in the way mostly) and I have seen my hair take a drastic downward toll. Plus heat application every now and then doesn't exactly improve the situation.
When I was sent the Kama Ayurveda Brindadi Intensive Hair Treatment to review, I was very excited as this made some great claims. I have been using this for over a month now (once a week) I am finally ready to share my views. Read on!
"Recommended in the ancient Sahasrayogam Ayurveda text for lush and healthy hair. It thickens hair while adding body and shine. Removes loose dandruff flakes. Naturally conditioning. The secret of luxuriant, glossy hair. This combination of herbs, processed in pure sesame oil and milk, includes indigo (neeli), eclipta alba and gooseberry, said in Ayurveda to promote hair growth. Balloon vine helps maintain a healthy scalp. Liqorice with its antiseptic properties protects against bacterial and fungal infections."
Ingredients : Indigofera Tinctoria linn, Cardiopermum Halicacabum linn, Eclipta Alba, Phyllanthus Emblica, Sesamum Indicum Oil, Cocasnucifera Extract, Glycyrrhiza Glabra, Rosmarinus Officinalis Oil, Lavandula Angustifolia Oil.
The oil comes in a simple plastic bottle with a stopper inside to prevent spillage. I do not think that the bottle is travel friendly, so do transfer it into a leak proof one if you plan to carry it along somewhere.
The oil is dark brown in colour and has a very very strong herbal fragrance which wouldn't be liked by all. It did take me a while to get used to it and it stays on till you shampoo.
Suprisingly, the oil isn't too heavy/sticky and for a herbal oil, it is light in texture. Not much is needed for use (I spread most of the oil on my scalp and hair ends, and then spread it through my hair). It is suggested to leave the oil on for half and hour only, but I keep it overnight. And it gets washed away easily (which again I never expected!).
So does it actually work? Yes! This has got to be one of the best hair oils I have tried till date.
- It leaves the hair very soft after every use (so much so, that I now use conditioner sparingly) gives some shine too. It has helped reduce dandruff issues (blaming winter and Bangalore pollution!) to a certain extent.
- I have been having a lot of hairfall too lately, but a month is too early to comment about the oil's effectiveness for that. I am being patient though :)
- I was also blowdrying and straightnening my hair a lot lately, which had led to really dry ends and dull hair, but the oil does damage recovery too. It hasn't recovered completely yet, but yes the oil has helped a lot!
- Also, the oil has the added benefit to prevent premature greying (I cannot comment on that yet though).
- It is 100% natural and free of preservatives.
Price : 450 INR for 100ml
Although, the oil is priced a bit on the higher side (than your regular drugstore oils) and even though the smell is very strong and not particularly pleasant for all, I would still highly recommend you all to try it! If you are facing hair issues or not, I am sure this one would benefit everyone.
I am repurchasing this for sure...It is a great hair treatment overall!